Located in Newark NJ's Third Ward, Elving's was the city's only Yiddish theater hosting such famous actors such as Molly Picon and Boris and Bessie Thomashevsky. Between 1922 and 1944, Elving's was the place to go for Yiddish theater in Newark. The theater was built and operated by the Elving Brothers, Bernard and Israel. Israel was the theater manager and Bernard was the lead actor in a majority of the productions, frequently playing opposite of his wife, Rose. The couple co-wrote many of the plays.